Berwick Bassett is a small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Marlborough and 8 miles (13 km) southwest of Swindon. The village is on the west bank of a headstream of the River Kennet and close to the A4361 road, formerly the A361, which links Devizes and Avebury with Wroughton and Swindon.
The ancient trackway known as the Ridgeway forms the eastern boundary of the parish. Berwick was not recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 and was probably part of the king’s Calne estate. The Bassett suffix, from the lords of the manor in the 13th century, had been added by the early 14th century.
Manor Farmhouse or Old Manor House, next to the church, is from the late 15th century or early 16th. The newer Manor House, near the stream, is from the early 17th.
The population of the parish peaked at 203 at the time of the 1851 census. A National school was built near the church in 1847 and was in use until 1922.
Winterbourne Monkton is a small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Avebury Stone Circle and 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Marlborough.
The eastern boundary of the parish is the ancient trackway known as The Ridgeway.
Winterbourne Monkton elects a joint parish council with the adjacent parish of Berwick Bassett. It falls within the area of the Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all significant local government functions.
The Church of England parish church of St Mary Magdalen is Grade II listed. The church has 12th-century origins but was rebuilt in 1878 by William Butterfield.
A National School was built in 1847 and educated children of all ages until 1949. It became a Church of England primary school.